Swabian Castle of Bari
Foundation Period: XI secolo A.D.
Typology: Fortification
Accessibility: Open
Country: Italy
Current use: Museum and Temporary Exhibitions
Surface: 15 sqm
Present property: Public
The Castle of Bari, erected since the 1131 by the Norman King Ruggero II, is located in the Northwest side of the ancient settlement of the Apulian chief town, in a strategic position for the monitoring and domination of the city. After the construction of the first medieval nucleus, the castle remained abandoned and obsolete for years because of the revolts occurred in Bari until the interventions made under the direction of Fredrik II of Swabia in 1233, which led to the rebirth of this military architecture. In effect, in the Swabian Period, the castle was significantly refurbished and enlarged: the existing curtain wall and towers were preserved, while new fabrics and elements were built, such as the portal and the entrance hall in the courtyard.
At the end of the XIII century, Bari came under the control of the Angevin king Charles I (between 1266 and 1285), which promoted new interventions of restoration and maintenance of the castle, especially in the North side which was probably damaged.
The Aragon period (XVI century) is another important chapter in the historical and constructive evolution of the castle. In fact, the duchess Isabella of Aragon, together with the daughter Bona Sforza, commissioned the excavation of a large moat around the castle to protect it from the landside.
In the 1501, the ante-wall, the bastions, as well as machicolations and embrasures, were erected to adapt the castle to the introduction of the gunpowder. After the death of her mother, the duchess Bona Sforza continued to modernize the castle and to repair the damages occurred in those decades.
The castle, in the XVIII century, became a fortified prison, preserving its military function throughout the Bourbon domination.
Subsequently, once excluded from the properties of the Reign of Naples in the 1831, the castle was acquired by the Municipality of Bari, which converted it to a station of the Carabinieri Army with a prison. At the end the XIX century the fortress, abandoned and damaged, was in a very low state of conservation.
In 1935, the Italian Ministry of Public Education started managing and restoring the castle, with the first interventions aimed to the enhancement of the historical and medieval values, threatened by the Nineteenth-century manumissions.
Finally, since the 1937, the castle became the head office of the Apulian Superintendence of Cultural Heritage, beyond that Restoration Laboratory, and thanks to the several interventions made in the last decades it has been converted to a public museum representing a social and cultural centrality for the citizenship.
The castle of Bari is morphologically composed of two main architectural systems: the castle nucleus and the large ante-wall, which cover - together with the moat - an area of 15’000 square meters.
The moat and the ante-wall, fortified with large angular bastions in the Aragon Period, encircle the nucleus on three sides. The fourth front, oriented to the North, was not equipped by these defensive elements because directly faced on the sea during the XVI century.
From the South access, once crossed the ante-wall, it is visible the central nucleus of the castle, built with blocks of carparo stone with a golden tone and characterized by a central courtyard with four square towers in the corners.
Two towers, thirty meters high, were positioned facing the urban area, i.e. the “Minorenni Tower” and the “Semaforo Tower”, today well preserved. The “Monaco Tower” and the “Vento Tower” (partially destroyed by an explosion in 1525) protected the seaside of the castle.
The West side of the fortification, erected by the Swabia Emperor Fredrik II, houses a portal, which owns a symbolic value and represents the universality of the imperial power.
Crossing the West portal, the hall entrance of the castle shows elegant capitals and an adorned portico. Connected to the hall, the central courtyard represents one of the masterpiece of the castle of Bari: its quadrangular plan is characterized by a medieval and Swabia front and the other three sides are in Renaissance style, built in XVI century. The medieval faced of the courtyard houses an angular portico, on which is positioned one of the ramp of the double external staircase.
The ground floor of the castle is connoted by the Swabia hall on the North side, the Palatine Chapel at East, the Federician hall at South and, finally, the Gipsotheque at West. In the Swabia hall, it is possible to admire Angevin remains of the castle and of a Byzantine church, recently discovered by archaeological surveys.
The Gypsotheque, instead, houses about 130 copies of reliefs and sculptures, in marble or stone, while the Federician hall, today a multimedia hall, was used as stable in the early Nineteenth century. The other significant halls are located at the first floor: the Angevin and the Aragon halls, placed at North, the Fredrik II hall at West, the Bona Sforza hall at East and, thus, the Norman hall at South.
| Type of vertical structures | Type of horizontal structures | Type of roof structures | State of conservation |
|---|---|---|---|
| Masonry | Vault | Flat roof | Good |
Other Architectures
Castle of Bashtova
Country: Albania
Foundation: XV A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 7 sqm
Present property: Public
Castle of Peqin
Country: Albania
Foundation: XV A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 4 sqm
Present property: Public
Castle of Scasmpinus (Elbasan)
Country: Albania
Foundation: 320 A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 136 sqm
Present property: Private/Public
Swabian Castle of Trani
Country: Italy
Foundation: XIII A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 6 sqm
Present property: Public
Fortress of Gijrokastra
Country: Albania
Foundation: XV A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 589 sqm
Present property: Public
Norman-Swabian Castle of Gioia del Colle
Country: Italy
Foundation: IX - XIII A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 2,287 sqm
Present property: Public
Fortification system of Kotor
Country: Montenegro
Foundation: VI A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 1,632,000 sqm
Present property: Public
Castle of Medun
Country: Montenegro
Foundation: IV B.C.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 2 sqm
Present property: Public
Fortification system of Bar (Stari Bari)
Country: Montenegro
Foundation: VII B.C.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 29 sqm
Present property: Public