Swabian Castle of Trani
Foundation Period: XIII A.D.
Typology: Fortification
Accessibility: Open
Country: Italy
Current use: Museum and Temporary Exhibitions
Surface: 6 sqm
Present property: Public
The Castle of Trani, built since the 1233 A.C., is one of the most significant fortification erected in Apulia (South Italy) by the Swabian Emperor Frederick II. Located on the North side of the historical waterfront of Trani, the castle was built in a strategic position for the protection and defence of the entrance to the port and of the access roads of the town.
The morphology of the castle can be interpreted as the results of three main constructive phases, historically identified with Swabian, Renaissance and Nineteenth-century periods.
During the Swabian Period (about XIII century), the Castle was a strategic military architecture for the defence and the domination of the city. Since its erection – witnessed by the inscriptions placed on the top of the two ancient access portals on the West side - the castle had a quadrangular plant, bordered on the North side by the sea and on the remaining perimeter by a deep and large flooded moat (Fig. 4). Its large central courtyard was protected by four fortified square towers located at the corners.
The Renaissance Age (XVI century) marked the passage to the Angevin-Spanish domination with significant interventions on the castle (Fig. 5): the fortification was deeply modernized in order to cope with the Saracen raids in the Mediterranean Sea. Under the direction of Ferdinando De Alarcon, administrator of the castles of the kingdom of Sicily, the South side of the castle was fortified (1533) and two bastions were built on the Southwest and Southeast corners (1540-41). The first one had a “bec d’aperon” shape, while the second one was quadrangular.
During the Nineteenth-century period, the castle was converted to a prison. Since the 1831 it came under the control of the Interior Ministry of the Reign, by the order of the King Ferdinand II of Bourbon. The fortification was sensibly refurbished between the 1832 and 1848, in order to adapt the structure to the new function (Fig. 6): new fabrics were built to house offices, cells, woodworking and laundry, among the others; the central courtyard and the maritime front were equipped by wall walks; the clock tower was positioned at the East access of the castle close to Manfredi square, as well as the stone drawbridge. After the abandonment of the structure, in the 1976 the Superintendency of Cultural Heritage of Apulia started managing and restoring the castle, giving to this fortified complex the actual architectural and functional configuration.
The medieval structure of the castle of Trani (dated back to the XIII century) is characterized by a geometric and regular morphology: the central nucleus has a quadrangular plant with fore square fortified towers located at the corners. At first, the entrances were positioned symmetrically on the East side and on the West front. These accesses led to a portico originally erected on the whole North side, subsequently destroyed in the Sixteenth century. Another access way was located on the maritime front of the fortification. Moreover, at the beginning, the North part of the castle housed an inner courtyard with a two-levels lodge with cross vaults hold up by columns, today missing.
In the XVI century, the structure and the morphology of the castle were deeply modernized in order to adapt it to the new military requirement derived from the introduction of the gunpowder. The main works concern the erection of the bastion of the Southwest side. The South wall of the central courtyard was significantly reinforced, increasing its thickness up to seven meters with stone materials and mortars of considerable compactness and strength. In the central courtyard, moreover, the North and South lodges were demolished for the construction of two upper floors facing on the courtyard with a double order of columns. At these levels, the outer front of the castle was characterized by two rows of gunners with a triple tunnel converging into a central opening, today missing because of the subsequent interventions. The other work attributable to the Renaissance Period is the Northeast square bastion.
When the castle became a prison, in the XIX century, new interventions were necessary to adapt the structure to the new functional use. These works were executed in overlap with the previous structure of the castle and concerned the construction of new buildings, used as corridors or for other functions of the prison.
Finally, thanks to the restoration works started since 1979, the castle was purged from the several inappropriate interventions made in the Nineteenth century, enhancing its cultural, architectural and artistic values.
| Type of vertical structures | Type of horizontal structures | Type of roof structures | State of conservation |
|---|---|---|---|
| Masonry | Vault | Flat roof | Good |
Other Architectures
Castle of Bashtova
Country: Albania
Foundation: XV A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 7 sqm
Present property: Public
Castle of Peqin
Country: Albania
Foundation: XV A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 4 sqm
Present property: Public
Castle of Scasmpinus (Elbasan)
Country: Albania
Foundation: 320 A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 136 sqm
Present property: Private/Public
Swabian Castle of Bari
Country: Italy
Foundation: XI secolo A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 15 sqm
Present property: Public
Fortress of Gijrokastra
Country: Albania
Foundation: XV A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 589 sqm
Present property: Public
Norman-Swabian Castle of Gioia del Colle
Country: Italy
Foundation: IX - XIII A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 2,287 sqm
Present property: Public
Fortification system of Kotor
Country: Montenegro
Foundation: VI A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 1,632,000 sqm
Present property: Public
Castle of Medun
Country: Montenegro
Foundation: IV B.C.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 2 sqm
Present property: Public
Fortification system of Bar (Stari Bari)
Country: Montenegro
Foundation: VII B.C.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 29 sqm
Present property: Public