Norman-Swabian Castle of Gioia del Colle


Foundation Period: IX - XIII A.D.
Typology: Fortification
Accessibility: Open
Country: Italy
Current use: National Archaeological Museum and Temporary Exhibitions
Surface: 2,287 sqm
Present property: Public

Virtual Tour

The foundation of the Castle of Gioia del Colle dates back to the mid-9th century during the Byzantine influence of the Apulian territory. The first nucleus of the castle had a quadrangular fortified plan with a central courtyard. It represented a defensive outpost aimed to the control of the ancient roads connecting the Adriatic Sea to the Ionian basin, as well as to link the west uplands of Murgia to the east front of Apulia. It was also used as shelter for the population against the enemies’ attacks.During the Norman period, about between the XI and the XII centuries, the castle was converted into a medieval fortress by the owner Riccardo D’Altavilla, known as “The Seneschal”. Under his direction, the castle was enlarged on the north side, with the construction of the De Rossi tower. From some studies, it emerges that the enlargement intervention made under the Reign of Norman King Ruggero II led to the erection of two other towers in the northeast and northwest corners of the castle. The castle was subsequently destroyed by the raids of Guglielmo I called “Il Malo” in the 1156, but there are no information about the castle morphology after this date.

The renaissance of the castle is due to the hand of the Emperor Fredrik II of Swabia, which promoted a restoration of the fortress of Gioia del Colle once returned from the VI crusade in 1230. The intervention gave to the castle the actual monumental configuration, with the curtain walls, the access portals and the central courtyard. In details, new rooms took place at the ground floor, such as the kitchen, some storages and stables. Upstairs, the castle was equipped with new representative and residential halls. The Swabian restoration also led to the construction of the southeast tower named “Imperatrice”.After the 1266, the castle firstly came under control of the Angevin Reign and, then, under the domination of the Aragon royal family, which transformed the military fortress into a residential mansion. Afterwards, several new openings - first opened only in the courtyard - were built on the external curtain walls according to the new residential vocation of the castle.

Since the XVII century, the castle started to be abandoned and disfigured, with an overall deterioration worsened after the earthquake of the 1786, which led to the collapse of the northeast tower, subsequently destroyed in the 1929.

In the 18th century, the castle was acquired by Donna Maria Emanuela Caracciolo, which promoted some restoration works of the first floor, especially on the east curtain wall. About in the years 1806-1868, the inner curtain walls, on the first floor, was restored giving them the actual aspect.Finally, in the early XX century, the architect Pantaleo directed some intervention aimed to the restoration of the historical ancient aspect of the castle. In fact, under his supervision, the large arch of the north curtain and the south staircase were demolished, adorning the faced with new mullioned openings. In this occasion, about between the 1907 and the 1909, a new staircase with an elegant lodge was built for the access to the throne hall on the first floor. The throne and the stone furniture of the hall also correspond to this period.


The Norman-Swabian Castle of Gioia del Colle is located in the inner part of the historical centre of the Apulian town. The fortress, accessible from Piazza dei Martiri on the south and from via G. Rocca on the west, has a trapezoidal plan which counts two main floors developed around a central courtyard and protected by curtain walls and towers on the perimeter.

The main entrance to the castle is represented by the west portal, an opening adorned by long and narrow ashlars, which leads to an entrance hall, covered by an ogival barrel vaults based on masonries with elegant capitals.

All the rooms and halls of the castle face on the central courtyard, a trapezoidal-shaped court built over the centuries by different interventions. The actual architecture of the courtyard represents the result of the restoration supervised by the arch. Pantaleo (1906-1909) aimed to the enhancement of the historical values of the castle. Here, the arch. Pantaleo directed the construction of a stone staircase for the access to the throne hall, on the first floor, as well as the triple-arched opening on the south curtain wall.

The east facade of the courtyard, restored in 1969-74 by the eng. De Vita, was brought back to the original architectural configuration: a lodge, considered inappropriate in relation to the castle architecture, was indeed demolished.

Moreover, the facades of the inner court distinguished from the external curtain walls for the architectural and artistic details, such as the mullioned opening and the elegant staircase, for instance. In fact, the south front of the courtyard contains an opening to the second entrance hall, which is adorned by a refined stone lintel. The south portal leads to an oven room and, then, to a sub-floor space destined to prison. The prison, a room covered by a stone barrel vault, is accessible through a spiral staircase, which probably connect it with a guardhouse.

The west part of the courtyard, instead, hosts a hall covered by barrel vaults divided in three spans by ogival arches and it is connected on the south side to a room probably erected in the Swabian period, given the presence of a gothic-style vault. On the opposite front of the court, the castle contains some rooms actually destined to storage for the museum exhibitions.

On the east part of the court, the 19th-made staircase leads to the first level, the noble floor, with the presence of the throne hall, among the others. The throne hall preserves the stateliness and elegance of the ancient times, with a big stone arch articulating the space into two spans. The hall is embellished by the presence of the stone throne and by a fireplace, with some stone sitting located next to the wide openings.

The first floor composes of two other stately halls: the first one, located on the south front, is illuminated from a large mullioned window and leads to the De Rossi tower; the second hall, smaller than the previous one, hosts a fireplace and a stone staircase to the Imperatrice tower.

Type of vertical structures Type of horizontal structures Type of roof structures State of conservation
Masonry Vault Flat roof Good

Other Architectures


Castle of Bashtova

Country: Albania
Foundation: XV A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 7 sqm
Present property: Public

Castle of Peqin

Country: Albania
Foundation: XV A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 4 sqm
Present property: Public

Castle of Scasmpinus (Elbasan)

Country: Albania
Foundation: 320 A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 136 sqm
Present property: Private/Public

Swabian Castle of Trani

Country: Italy
Foundation: XIII A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 6 sqm
Present property: Public

Swabian Castle of Bari

Country: Italy
Foundation: XI secolo A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 15 sqm
Present property: Public

Fortress of Gijrokastra

Country: Albania
Foundation: XV A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 589 sqm
Present property: Public

Fortification system of Kotor

Country: Montenegro
Foundation: VI A.D.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 1,632,000 sqm
Present property: Public

Castle of Medun

Country: Montenegro
Foundation: IV B.C.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 2 sqm
Present property: Public

Fortification system of Bar (Stari Bari)

Country: Montenegro
Foundation: VII B.C.
Accessibility: Open
Surface: 29 sqm
Present property: Public